This is an extremely easy and quick project. I'd had this sweatshirt that I wore all the time, practically every day, but then then it got this really big hole (I don't even know how it happened!). I've seen skirts make out of sweatshirt material in stores, and really liked them, but why buy something that you can make easily? Especially when it is better for the environment!
Anyway, here's how I made it:
(learn how after the jump)
1 sweatshirt (with or without a zipper, pretty much any shirt with long sleeves would work)
- Enough elastic to go around your waist
- sewing machine or needle and thread
- Lay the sweatshirt flat, and cut across underneath the armpits.
At this point you can take it in a little bit on the sides if you want to reduce bulk, just make sure you can still put it on easily. Now for the waistband.
2. Cut a sleeve off of the part of the sweatshirt you aren't using. Depending on the size of your waist and how thick you want the waistband to be, you may need more.
7. Pin and sew, leaving a 1 inch gap for the elastic.
8. Using a safety pin, thread elastic through waistband,
Now you have an extremely cute, and environmentally friendly skirt!